Skocz do zawartości
"Idzie nowe..." - o zmianach i nie tylko ×
Przeniesienie zakupów z IPS Marketplace / Moving bought items from IPS Marketplace ×

[IPS Marketplace] Searchlight

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Searchlight

Remember when clicked-through search results highlighted the search terms on the content pages themselves? Sure, we all do. And now, lo, those times have returned again.

• Highlights search terms on the clicked-through-to content pages!
  • Customize the searchlight: background, font color, bold, all caps.
  • Wildcards supported!
  • Do you already have Kitchen Sink? Hey hey! I'm including this for free there!

Where do these things get highlighted?
Anywhere within #ipsLayout_mainArea. All the header stuff is avoided, the left/right sidebars are external to mainArea and the top/bottom sidebar areas have been CSS'd out.

Your code or...
Yep, but for the actual marking of results I'm using mark.js, an MIT licensed library. Support is wide ranging for all modern browsers. The latest builds are marked as failed for the bleeding edge Android and Safari browsers but those may be automated tests and not indicative of actual performance. Those mobile browsers are all marked as good-to-go for previous versions so even if there are problems on the bleeding edge stuff this is an actively maintained library and should get fixed up soon enough. That said, as mark.js goes, so goes this plugin, otherwise I'll need to code up the marking code myself. 

What if IPS changes something and...
Search is being puttered with by IPS. I'll state here and now that this is solid and I doubt IPS will mess things up with the 4.2 series to cause conflicts. 4.3 we'll all need to see what they do.

Really? Wildcard searches are supported?
Yep. If you search for monkey* and you get hits on the results page for monkeyshines, monkeyshines will be highlighted on the content page when you click through. You search terms are pushed through and then the js library itself will do the wildcard matching without me having to persuade Cold Outer Gods to parse the precise wildcard hits in the results list and push those through. No thanks.

Requirements?
JavaScript enabled and that's about it. Naturally, your IPS experience is... not pleasant if you disable JavaScript so this shouldn't be surprising. 

Those screenshots...
Those screenshots show the search results page so you can see what is found, and then what Searchlight does on the content itself once you click-through. I do NOTHING on the search results page as regards the appearance of those highlights. You'l also note that when you wildcard search, IPS does NOT highlight the search hits on the results page. That's them, not me :)

Cost
$7 to buy, $3 every year. If you already own Kitchen Sink there is no need to buy this as I'm including it for free there. Consider purchasing Kitchen Sink if you don't own it already, a few bucks more gets you a whole lot more... Yes. I'm trying to entice you to get Kitchen Sink instead. How could you tell?

Terms
One buy, one site. Feel free to use on your test site if you have one of course. If you lapse on renewals so long that I tell you to buy it again that does NOT mean you now have licenses to two separate copies. All rights reserved (for the stuff that is mine), etc... No complaining to me that IPS should have included this themselves.

Thank You!

View the full article